CondéNet Launches STYLE.COM, a New Service and Online Store, And Allies with NeimanMarcus.com
NEW YORK (September 18, 2000) -- CondéNet announces the launch today of STYLE.COM, a service that will offer consumers a new and complete fashion experience with comprehensive fashion-show coverage - including up-to-the-minute photos, news, authoritative trend reports, celebrity style, and an online store featuring the best selection of must-have fashions. In conjunction with the launch of its STYLE.COM store, CondéNet also announces an agreement with Neiman Marcus naming NeimanMarcus.com as the exclusive online resource for prestigious brands in women's apparel and accessories.
In addition, CondéNet - the Internet affiliate of publishers Condé Nast Publications and Fairchild Publications Consumer Magazine Division - announces that Wmagazine.com will make its online debut on STYLE.COM, joining Vogue.com, which launched in September 1999 and has attracted a devoted following of fashion insiders with its designer-collection coverage.
"We believe the time is right to offer fashion consumers a new shopping experience," said STYLE.COM Managing Director Goli Sheikholeslami. "Now, at one address - STYLE.COM - consumers will be able to learn about all the latest trends and styles from the premier authorities on fashion. And they will be able to buy apparel and accessories in an online store that is merchandised through a collaboration between NeimanMarcus.com and STYLE.COM." An opening selection of merchandise will be available in time for the holidays, followed by a full-scale launch of the online store in the first quarter of 2001.
"The birth of STYLE.COM represents the culmination of CondéNet's five years' experience creating premier brands on the Internet that serve consumers with the best in content, service, interactivity, and commerce," said CondéNet President Sarah Chubb. "Bringing that experience together with Vogue and W's unparalleled authority in fashion and with Neiman Marcus' 93-year history as a fashion retailing leader will be the key to STYLE.COM's success."
For the launch, STYLE.COM will host a charity auction of designer sketches donated by Oscar de la Renta, Manolo Blahnik, Giorgio Armani and Chanel, with proceeds going to the CFDA/Vogue Initiative, which supports AIDS research. The winners of the sketches will not only receive these one-of-a-kind drawings but will then have the items of apparel they portray made for them by the designers.
STYLE.COM will launch with complete coverage of the Spring 2001 ready-to-wear shows, featuring reviews, video highlights, cams, lively interactivity, and digital images of 6,000 looks by over 100 designers in New York, London, Milan and Paris.
"Our coverage of the fashion shows, which was already unparalleled online, will be even richer and more authoritative now that we have joined forces with W to launch Wmagazine.com," said Ms. Sheikholeslami.
Features of the site will include:
• Four weekly charity auctions featuring one-of-a-kind creations from Oscar de la Renta, Manolo Blahnik, Giorgio Armani, and Chanel. High bidders receive autographed sketches and custom-made designs; all proceeds benefit the CFDA/Vogue Initiative
• Style Revival: an ongoing designer-only consignment auction
• Coming Soon: Online shopping with Neiman Marcus, STYLE.COM's exclusive e-commerce partner for high-end fashion and accessories
• Runway reviews and photos from STYLE.COM's expert editorial staff for the Spring 2001 ready-to-wear collections in New York, London, Milan, and Paris
• Video highlights from every show in New York, London, Milan, and Paris
• Live Web cam coverage of Bryant Park throughout New York Fashion Week
PEOPLE & PARTIES
• On the Scene: Photos and highlights from the most fashionable society and celebrity parties
• A biannual best-dressed list of the world's chicest women
• Weekly Top 10 lists of the latest hit-or-miss fashions
• Slideshows featuring current fashion trends, celebrities and the latest hair and makeup styles from the runway
• The latest fashion news from STYLE.COM and Women's Wear Daily
• Daily horoscopes
• Fashion-related cartoons from The New Yorker
• An interactive game in which users test their fashion knowledge
• National and international weather
• STYLE.COM users share advice and discuss fashion, gossip, models, celebrities, and shopping
CondéNet is the leading creator and developer of upscale lifestyle brands online, providing enjoyable, useful services that tie into and build upon the heritage of the world's most prestigious magazines. Today, CondéNet owns the deepest online brands in the vertical categories of food (Epicurious), travel (Concierge), relationships (Swoon), fitness (PHYS), and fashion (STYLE.COM). Condé Net is an Internet unit of Condé Nast.